WESTAF Seeking Applicants for Professional Development Program
WESTAF 2014 Emerging Leaders of Color
Professional Development Program
The Western States Arts Federation (WESTAF) is a regional nonprofit arts service organization
whose mission is to strengthen the financial, organizational, and policy infrastructure of the arts
in the western United States. In its work, WESTAF strives to reflect the values, insights, spirit,
and knowledge of communities of color, indigenous peoples, and other marginalized ethnic
communities in the west and ensure its programs and initiatives incorporate the diverse
perspectives of the region.
In 2010, WESTAF established its Emerging Leaders of Color Professional Development
Program, which promotes multicultural leadership in the arts by:
● Building a cohort of cultural leaders of color in the western United States who are
committed to the advancement of the arts.
● Engaging diverse emerging leaders in coursework and activities designed to strengthen
competencies and prepare participants for leadership positions in the field.
● Providing opportunities for promising arts professionals to establish networks that
support their careers and the cultural interests of the communities they represent and
● Deepening participants’ understanding of the arts in the United States and how public
support sustains the vibrancy of the sector.
How to Apply
WESTAF is currently seeking participants for this all expenses paid, fourth annual convening to
be held October 13, 2014 in Denver. Candidates will meet the following criteria:
● Professionals who are generally under the age of 35.
● 10 years or less of experience working in the arts.
● Current resident of Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawai’i, Idaho, Montana,
Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington or Wyoming.
● Self identify as people of color.
● Arts administrator or significantly arts interested community person such as a volunteer,
public official and/or artist with a strong interest in issues of arts policy and
administration. (Not designed to serve individual artists.)
● Individuals who may not have previously had an opportunity to participate in high quality
professional development sessions.
● Have not traversed from one fellowship to the next.
● Individuals of significant promise.
WESTAF will select 14 total participants: one participant from each state in the western region,
except California, where two participants will be selected due to population.
Online Application: http://bit.ly/1iHGoYI
Application and endorsement deadline: THURSDAY, JULY 31, 2014
Notification date: August 2014
Questions or for more information, contact Chrissy Deal, email@example.com.