Midyear Conference Blanket Making Service Project
This year at the 2018 Midyear Conference, UNITY will be conducting a Youth & Elder Community Service Project! As affiliates of the UNITY Network, youth councils are expected to conduct activities in community service, cultural heritage, environment, and healthy lifestyles. What better way to encourage service to others than participating in a Blanket Making Service Project with 500+ native youth leaders from across the country?!
Here’s the Plan:
- Each youth participant will bring their own pieces of fleece material with them to the Midyear Conference. (Fabric can be any colors or patterns you want. Note: two different 1/2 yard pieces of material makes 1 blanket)
- As a group, on the first day of the Conference, youth leaders will make their own blankets (See below for more info on “No Sew Fleece Blankets”)
- Youth will attach notes with words of encouragement to honor the elders and remind them of their importance within our culture
- The blankets made can be taken back with participants to be donated to elderly in their home communities
- OR UNITY can donate your blankets to local homeless shelters, VA hospitals, or nursing homes with high populations of native elderly.
- 1 yard of fleece fabric OR 2 half yard pieces of fleece fabric makes 1 blanket
- Tape measure or ruler
(Project tip: Cut both layers of fleece at the same time.)
1. From each piece of fleece, cut a 1/2 yard rectangle.
2. Place fleece rectangles wrong sides together.
3. Cut out one square from each corner of both fleece pieces.
4. To make the fringe, cut fleece at 1” intervals around all sides of both top and bottom.
5. Knot fringed pieces together around entire blanket, using 1 strand from the front fabric layer and 1 strand from the back fabric layer.